Baylor Course Placement Information
Some Baylor course placement is determined by major and/or program and ACT or SAT scores and/or results of an online learning component. Results do not bear credit, but the score determines the level of the course for which the student may register.
Check each area of course placement to find specific requirements or recommendations.
1. Is the major and/or program correct in the “Profile” section at the bottom of the goBAYLOR page? If not correct, new students should contact the Admissions Counselor.
2. Students submitting final ACT or SAT scores, should be sure they have been received by Baylor (in the “List of Test Scores Received” section of goBAYLOR).
1. Is the major and/or program correct in the Navigate app? If not correct, current students can submit a request to update the major in BearWeb>Student Academic Services>Student Records>Change of Major Request.
2. Academic advisors can help students determine requirements or recommendations for course placement.
Chemistry Placement (For registration in Chemistry 1301)
Students who need to take Chemistry 1301 for their major or degree program will need to meet one of the criteria before registration in the class:
- ≥ RSAT MATH 580 or ACT MATH 24
- ≥ 85 on ALEKS for Chemistry
For more information about ALEKS for Chemistry, see the ALEKS for Chemistry web page.
Mathematics Placement (For registration in Pre-Calculus or Calculus)
Students who need to take Calculus or Pre-Calculus for their major or degree program will need to meet one of the criteria before registration in one of the classes.
- Calculus -- MTH 1321
- ≥ RSAT MATH 650 or ACT MATH 27
- ≥ 80 on ALEKS for Math
- ≥ B- in MATH 1320
- Pre-Calculus -- MTH 1320
- ≥ RSAT MATH 550 or ACT MATH 22
- ≥ 61 on ALEKS for Math
For more information about Math Placement, see please visit the Math web page.
Math Placement for Business Students
Precalculus for Business Students (MTH 1308) and Calculus for Business Students (MTH 1309) courses do not require the ALEKS for Math placement exam. Students who have these scores may skip MTH 1308 and register for MTH 1309.
- Calculus for Business Students -- MTH 1309
- ≥ RSAT MATH 620 or SAT Math 610 or ACT MATH 26
- ≥ 70 on ALEKS for Math
- ≥ C in MTH 1320 or MTH 1308
Modern Language Placement Exam – MLPE (For registration in French, German, or Spanish)
The foreign language requirement for many majors calls for 1) at least six hours of courses taken at Baylor in a certain language and 2) demonstrated competence in that language at the third semester (2310) level or higher. Students should begin their study at a level consistent with their previous preparation in the language. For more information on language placement, please see the Interactive Media & Language Center's page on placement options.